* I will NEVER get tired of hearing Miles say “Mama,” even if he is whining it nonstop for an hour straight. I swear!
* Yesterday while I was laying on the floor looking at a book he jumped on my back and shouted, “Play Mommyyyyy!” Awwwww!
* One funny thing he does sometimes is talk in gibberish when he wants something, but if I ask him to use words, he will pause and say with perfect clarity: “bowl.” (Or whatever it is he’s asking for.) Why not just say that in the first place, kid?
* He’s showing some imagination in his conversation now, too, like for example pretending that he sees various animals outside through the window. Yesterday he told me, “Orange kitten!” (There is an orange stray cat that passes by sometimes but he wasn’t there at that moment.) And then, “Orange squirrel.” I asked him, “What did it do?” thinking that as usual he would tell me “run up tree,” but instead he imitated a squirrel chirping. Then he also told me there was a “bunny,” “black dog,” and “George!” (Curious George.)
* I love to listen to him sing his little babbling songs when he’s playing. There are a few different nonsense words and phrases that he likes to repeat in a singsong voice, like “Nonny nonny nonny,” and “Ding dong ding dong!” (not sure where he picked up ding-dong but he correctly uses it to describe clanging bells too).
* Oddly, he doesn’t say Daddy anymore and seems confounded as to what to call Mike, though he used to say Daddy a while back. He has tried calling him Mama but we keep insisting he say Daddy. But he’s pretty much mastered Mama, and calls Julius either Julius or Baby, and Russell either Russell or dog. He definitely knows that he is Miles, but he doesn’t say his own name yet except that he will say “Miles? Miles?” to initiate a game of peekaboo.
* One frustrating habit he still has is to refer to things by color when he knows the words perfectly well; for example, sometimes he will say “orange? orange?” instead of asking me to turn on a light, though he can and does also say “Mama turn light on?” He does it a lot less than he used to but it seems to be a fallback for him that I’m trying to discourage.
* Miles talks in his sleep! Always about colors… sigh…