Here’s what I’ve been up to this week instead of blogging like I should:
1. Backtracking a bit to last week, Thursday night I am asked to start a new job on Monday and can I have it finished by Friday?
2. I decide to hire 3 people instead of 1 as faux finishing assistants, which means I have to train them, but I definitely need the help!
3. Saturday a friend comes to stay with us for a bit, which actually is more helpful than not because he is helping us with housework/childcare as much as possible.
4. Monday I am painting and training my new crew, also drawing at work as I try to finish a large card order that has required as many do-overs as finished drawings. Plus I have my normal orders to fill. I have promised another designer I’d have a sample today but I don’t.
5. Tuesday more of same except down to 2 assistants because one has another job on Tue/Wed. I am staying up late drawing once Miles is asleep. Sample still not ready.
6. Wednesday down to 1 assistant as one calls in sick. Have no more clean clothes because I am behind on laundry. Finally start to feel a little panicky about all my deadlines.
7. Aaaand today Miles is sick again. Normally he doesn’t get sick this often… but he wakes up with a 104 degree fever. I leave him with Mike for a bit while I run to the job, get the kids set up, run to the paint store and back, cancel two appointments to bid more work, come home.
Give Miles lunch and try for over an hour to get him to nap but no dice. I have to finish the big order so I draw the last 3 cards with him in the Ergo. Miles finally falls asleep for maybe 30 minutes before a city worker knocks on the door and wakes him up. I drag him to the post office to overnight the finished order. Make dinner.
8. When our friend gets home he watches Miles after dinner so I can finally take a shower. The designer swings by to pick up her sample. I just got Miles to sleep and am writing this on my phone before I get up and do more cardsTomorrow I can only hope Miles will be well enough to go to daycare… but I doubt it. I have to go to the job in the morning, paint if Miles isn’t with me, but he probably will be. I have a work meeting at 1 and have to find time to pick up some groceries and a father’s day present for Mike. I also have to pick up my tent rental because early Saturday morning I’m setting up my booth at Benson Summerfest.
People keep congratulating me on being so busy, but I have to be honest, it doesn’t feel that great. I know there are worse problems in the world, but I’m stretched too thin. Even though I’m not really the cosmic type I can’t help feeling like Miles getting sick is some kind of divine reproach for trying to do too much at once. I’m missing most of my deadlines and that does not make me feel like any kind of superhero. But I’m in too deep to stop now, no choice but to muscle my way through it and look forward to a lull in the action.